In the interest of full disclosure: I received Dandies vegan marshmallows to sample, and this post contains affiliate links.
Hearts! Candy! Warm fuzzies! Oh my!
Major retail stores have been pushing Valentine’s Day merchandise practically since Christmas, but here at QV, I like to be a little more timely (or perhaps a bit fashionably late) about holidays. Therefore, I bring you a post just about a week before this highly commercialized, heart-filled celebration!
I know, I know. Most of you are looking for that perfect vegan wing recipe to chow down on during the Super Bowl, but there’s nothing wrong with rounding up a few sweet recipes to share on the 14th! Read on for tasty Valentine’s Day delights suitable for chocolate lovers, cookie monsters and anyone who likes food on sticks.
Super Candy Sources
If you’re looking for decadent vegan candies to give as gifts, these companies have you covered. Be prepared to fall into a sugar coma! (And snap to later with a smoking credit card and the vague notion that you just procured enough chocolate to feed an army.)
- Lagusta’s Luscious Valentine’s Day collection — Find them locally or shop online!
- All chocolates are 100% vegan, organic and fair-trade
- Sjaak’s 100% organic vegan chocolate
- Natural Candy Store — Be sure to check shipping deadlines for your area to get vegan, allergen-free, junk free candy delivered in time for the holiday.
- Dandies Vegan Marshmallows — Use them to make these Heart-Shaped Crispy Treat Sandwiches with strawberry filling.
- From Chicago Vegan Foods, the makers of Dandies: “The first Non-GMO Project Verified marshmallows on the market, Dandies are made with all-natural ingredients and completely free of gelatin, artificial ingredients, and high fructose corn syrup. The products are produced in the company’s dedicated facility, which is free of dairy, eggs, peanuts, and tree-nuts. Dandies marshmallows are also free of wheat, gluten and corn, 100% vegan, and certified kosher by the Chicago Rabbinical Council.”
- Find them in vanilla, mini vanilla and pumpkin varieties!
Make Your Own Vegan Valentine’s Treats!
Put in a little effort to bake or confect (Is that a word? It is now!) something special for the person you love — or all the people who make your life amazing! Give these great vegan Valentine’s Day treats as gifts, serve them on a heart-shaped plate to cap off a romantic dinner or make them the focal point of an amazing spread of party desserts!
Who doesn’t love cake on a stick? Deck out these cake pops with ribbons and use different toppings like sprinkles, cocoa powder, cinnamon or shredded coconut to create a unique presentation.
- Dark Chocolate Cake Pops by Veronica’s Cornucopia
- Chili Chocolate Red Velvet Cake Pops from Your Daily Vegan
- Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Balls from Oh She Glows — Just add sticks to transform these into allergy-friendly cake pops!
They say it’s the thought that counts when giving a gift, so why not make your loved one’s day with delicious homemade candy instead of store-bought?
- Easy Vegan Truffles from Minimalist Baker — A great “master recipe” to get you started.
- Spicy Ginger Truffles for Valentine’s Day from Fran Costigan — With detailed instructions from the queen of Vegan Chocolate!
- Coffee, Cacao & Coconut Coated Plant-Based Truffles from Danielle Levy — Chocolate and coffee is truly a match made in dessert heaven.
- Healthy Strawberry Truffles from Caroline’s Cooking
- Chocolate Coated Hazelnut Truffles on One Green Planet
I couldn’t do a roundup of treats without including some cookies. They’re a classic for gift-giving and party platters!
- Jamtastic Wedding Cookie Sandwiches — Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to fit the holiday theme!
- Valentine’s Day Heart Sugar Cookies by Healthy. Happy. Life.
- Heart Cookies with Jam Filling from Kosher in the Kitch — They’re like little vegan Pop-Tarts!
- Raw Pink Heart Cookie Sandwiches from Purely Twins
- Chocolate Cinnamon Heart Sandwich Cookies from Ricki Heller
With this list on hand, you’ll have no problem making Valentine’s Day sweet for your significant other, your family, your friends — or yourself. Enjoy!
Love these recipes? Get more like them — along with plant-based health and lifestyle tips — every month in my newsletter!